TABLE OF CONTENT
- What is Depression
- Signs or symptoms
- How to Cure Depression
- How to prevent Depression
1. WHAT IS DEPRESSION
Depression is a disease known as a mental health disorder characterized by persistent loss of interest in life activities that affects the mood, causing significant impairment in daily life. According to research, one out of six persons in the world population is depressed. in America, one out of four youth suffers from depression.
2. What Are the Causes of Depression?
Research has shown that there are several causes of this mental disease, such as
- Medical conditions: – some medical conditions like best inflammation which is to be when the body encounters an offending or offensive agent like virus and bacteria or injury, which activates the immune system, which sends out the inflammatory cell, but when it becomes worse, it can lead to a different disease such as psychological or mental disorder. According to research by the American journal of psychiatry, published in 2022. found out that people with depression had more inflammation.
- Medications: some medicines have shown through research to have very severe side effects and are not advisable for over-counter sale to patience e.g.
- BENZODIAZEPINES: These are drugs used to treat anxiety, e.g., valium.
- BETA-BLOCKER: There are drugs used to treat high blood pressure, e.g. ., Toprol.
- CORTICOSTEROIDS: This set of drugs treats rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory conditions, e.g., Prednisone.
- PARKINSON DRUGS: Drugs used in treating Parkinson’s disease affect a substance in the brain called dopamine. Abnormalities in this neurotransmitter.
- Psychological and social causes: This cause factor deals with overstress, low self-esteem, and poor self-confidence. Also, some other social factors like abuse such as sexual and substance abuse can cause very severe psychological disorders
- Genetic causes: Research has shown or proven that it could be hereditary, which means that persons whose family has a history of this mental disorder can suffer the same.
MAJOR DISORDER(MDD): This is clinical depression with intense symptoms that could last for about two weeks.
BIPOLAR DISORDER: people with this type of mental or psychological illness experience mood swings; They have a period of low mood. which makes them lack the zealous or energy to do anything and feel sad. They also have a period of high energy.
PSYCHOTIC DISORDER: Persons that suffer from this type of mental disorder have severe symptoms such as hallucination, which means hearing or feeling, or touching things that are not real.
PERINATAL AND POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION: This type of depression occurs during pregnancy and lasts up to a year after birth or child delivery.
4. WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OR SYMPTOMS
- Loss of appetite
- Agitation and Restlessness
- loss of interest or pleasure in activities
- low level of concentration
- Sexual dysfunction in some cases.
5. HOW TO CURE DEPRESSION
- MEDICATION: Some medications can help improve and cure depression or depressed persons, e.g., Esketamine. This drug is known as a FAST-ACTING ANTIDEPRESSANTS, which works within hours to help a depressed person feel better. WHY ESKETAMINE? It is a nasal spray approved by the FDA in 2019 in the placement of KETAMINE (this was initially used to treat persons with a mental disorder ) to treat resistant mental disorder and disorder that includes suicidal thoughts or behavior. ESKETAMINE works by raising the level of glutamate, a chemical that helps the brain cells communicate.
- PSYCHOTHERAPY: Counselling helps address and develop the condition of a depressed person through the help of mental health professional. Psychotherapy has proven an excellent remedy over these years.
- COMPLEMENTARY THERAPY: This includes massage, acupuncture, hypnosis, and biofeedback.
- BRAIN STIMULATION THERAPY: This type of therapy is for persons with a severe mental disorder, including ELECTRO CONVULSIVE THERAPY(ECT).
6. HOW TO PREVENT DEPRESSION
- Daily exercise of the body
- a constant nutritional balanced diet
- healthy mental environment
- maintaining good psychological and social health
Persons who in any way shows any of these sign stated above should immediately seek the help of a profession psychotherapist for proper medical guidance and medication. furthermore , taking the above preventive measure would be a huge mile stone towards a better mental health state and a society free of mental disorder.